Thursday, June 05, 2008

Zen Dog in Japan


Okay, so I had to put this little dog on my blog.

A little dog that's being taught how to meditate? How awesome is that? I mean, really. I know that most people who are Buddhist who have dogs - their dogs quietly lay down beside them while they meditate - that's one of the greatest things about us being Buddhist - our dogs are benifiting from the sideways dharma - but, this little dog is especially generating good stuff I hope. I wonder if the Dalai Llama has any dogs who can do this. Now THAT would be amazing. haha!

Dog Prays at Japanese Zen Temple

NAHA, Japan — At a Zen Buddhist temple in southern Japan, even the dog prays. Mimicking his master, priest Joei Yoshikuni, a 1 1/2-year-old black-and-white Chihuahua named Conan joins in the daily prayers at Naha's Shuri Kannondo temple, sitting up on his hind legs and putting his front paws together before the altar.

It took him only a few days to learn the motions, and now he is the talk of the town.

"Word has spread, and we are getting a lot more tourists," Yoshikuni said Monday.

Yoshikuni said Conan generally goes through his prayer routine at the temple in the capital of Japan's southern Okinawa prefecture (state) without prompting before his morning and evening meals.

"I think he saw me doing it all the time and got the idea to do it, too," Yoshikuni said.

The priest is now trying to teach him how to meditate.

Well, sort of.

"Basically, I am just trying to get him to sit still while I meditate," he explained. "It's not like we can make him cross his legs."

1 comment:

Lodo Grdzak said...

The legendary Zen dog of Japan!